Birds can use some extra food this time of year and a great way to feed the birds is by decorating pine cones with seeds and a little "extra" to fatten them up. This is what do it:
- Collect some large pine cones and tie string to the top portion of the cone
- Microwave peanut butter or suet (animal fat) until melted
- Spread over the entire pine cone's surface
- Roll the cone in bird seed and nuts
- Let the pine cones sit for 30 minute to harden
- Hang outside on tree branches for the birds to eat. And try to position the cones low enough from the branch but high enough off the ground to keep away those pesty squirrels.